The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering started in the year 2001 with an intake of 60 undergraduate students. In 2006 the intake was increased to 120 and further increased to 180 in the year 2016. The department has qualified and technically competent faculty with a rich blend of academic, industrial and research background. The department has got a permanent affiliation with Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) and the undergraduate program is currently under the autonomous scheme. The department started the post graduate program (M Tech) in the field of “VLSI Design and Embedded systems”
with an annual intake of 18 students in 2007 and “Digital Communication and Networking”
with an annual intake of 18 students in 2012.
The faculty and students of the department regularly interact with premier institutions some of which are the IISc,
(Indian Institute of Science), DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization) and ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization).
These interactions pertain to academics, research and projects. The department is well equipped with laboratories for all relevant
areas which include VLSI, HDL, Embedded systems, Digital communication, Antenna design, Networking, Electronic Circuits, Power Electronics,
Micro Electronics, Digital Signal Processing and Digital Electronics.
Highlights of the department are:
- BE program was accredited by National Board of Accreditation in 2009 and subsequently in 2014 for Tier 1 Washington DC Accord.
- Research centers approved by VTU and the University of Mysore.
- Active participation in three centers apostrophe of excellence. These are the Centers for Nanomaterials and MEMS Design, for small satellite design and for Robotics Research.
- MoU with EUROPRACTICE IC to promote research work in emerging areas of chip design technologies.
- MoU with KPIT Service provides for interaction in the domain of automotive electronics. Semester-8 students have an open elective in this domain.
- Agreement with OMS Patents Services Pvt. Ltd. for patent related activities.
- MoU with Cypress Semiconductors, Cranes software for imparting training in emerging technical areas.
- Laboratories for VLSI R&D (with Cadence VLSI CAD tool, FPGA (with Xilinx 14.1), MATLAB, HFSS, Cypress PSOC Lab and Texas Instruments.
- Active student associations and these are IRIS, IEEE and IETE. These associations organize technical seminars and guest lectures by eminent personalities. These associations also work with industry bodies.