Center FOR Nanomaterials & MEMS
About the Center
Research in nano materials and MEMS has recently gained momentum with many academicians, researchers and industries taking active part in it. The Centre has been carrying out collaborative work with all National MEMS Design Centre across the country with the help of Professors at CeNSE and ECE Departments of Indian Institute of Science (IISc). The area is a multidisciplinary field hence when students and faculty take active part in this research, they get a complete view of different facets of Science and Technology and it applications. This helps in building a connection between industry and academia.The Centre for Nanomaterials and MEMS at NMIT, has been instituted to nurture the research abilities and innovative thinking capabilities among the students and faculty members. The objective is to give knowledge and create awareness on the important facets of different technologies, highlighting the current trends and future directions in multidisciplinary areas like Electronics, Energy, chemical, Civil, Mechanical, Space, Medicine, Health care etc.
In the Centre for Nanomaterials and MEMS (CNM) at NMIT, we have dynamic multidisciplinary group of researchers oriented and working for the objectives, in the following research areas:
- Design, Simulation and Development of Micro-Electro-Mechanical systems (MEMS)
- Thin Film Materials Science and Engineering
- NanoMaterials Synthesis for biosensing applications
To serve a diverse multidisciplinary field of research encompassing the knowledge of basic sciences and Engineering disciplines
- To support research and educational objectives of the institution which can enhance the multidisciplinary research in the area of nanomaterials, thin films, VLSI, MEMS and instrumentation.
- To pursue research towards development of sensors, photovoltaics, defense products, energy harvesting systems, healthcare and agriculture products.
- To offer training and courses in the area of nanomaterials, thin films, VLSI, MEMS and instrumentation.
- To bridge the gap between industry and academia through collaborations with industries and universities across the globe.
The work being carried out currently in the centre
- Design and Simulation of MEMS Sensors like Microphone, Accelerometer, Hydrophone etc
- Fabrication of PZT, ZnO/TiO2 nanoparticles.
- Development of low cost Copper-Oxide solar cells and modules by Magnetron sputtering & Effect of silver nanoparticles incorporation on the solar cell performance.
- Study and Development of Indium-free transparent thin films and its applicability to nanostructured based electrochromic device.
- Development of Debris Monitoring System.
- Planar MOSFET Fabrication.
- RTD sensors.
- Biosensors for cancer cell detection
- Biosensor for detection of pesticides in agricultural products
- Segregation of strands of Hemp fibre
- Develop smart materials for MEMS sensors and actuators, Energy storage, biosensorsetc
- To serve as an educational and training centre in the frontier areas of science and technology of smart materials for students, scientists and engineers.
- To give knowledge & create awareness in new technologies and to work on challenging areas for societal benefits and for nation development.
- To train manpower and enhancing their domain knowledge on smart materials for development of thrust areas of research.
- To offer technical advice and support to researchers in academic institutions / universities and industries in the area of smart materials and systems
- To play a lead role in University system by establishing a Tier 2 centre of Excellence in Micro and Nano technologies and develop links with Tier 1 centres in IITs and IISc as well as Industries.